Rugby Ramble

06 Aug 2018

   {loadformmaker 12}

Summer Camp 2018

11 Jul 2018

New Senior Mens Head Coach - Tony O'Brien

20 Jun 2018

Athy RFC are delighted to announce that Tony O'Brien joins the club as our new Senior Mens Head Coach for the new season. Tony is a vastly experienced coach...

A penalty for Athy gave David O’Toole a chance to launch a long range kick over the touch line to bring Athy into the Gorey half. Some good defence from Athy resulted in a penalty to Athy but a sloppy lineout gave Gorey a good platform to launch from. More great pressure in defence from Athy culminated in a knock on from Gorey and a scrum to Athy. Martin Maloney dropped from flanker to 8, the feeling amongst the crowd was that something special was about to happen. Maloney picked from the scrum and surged down the blind side, a chip and chase from the Leinster youths player brought Athy past the Gorey 10m line. Confusion in the Athy centre saw Gorey gain 30m into the Athy half. Athy cleared from their own 22 which resulted in Brian Meredith claiming an excellent clean lineout. Gorey pushed forward yet again to establish a foothold inside the Athy 22. Gorey were then awarded a penalty and they opted for the kick at goal, fortunately for Athy the kicker put the ball penalty wide. Athy went with a quick drop out which saw they bringing play up to the Gorey 10m line however an intercepted pass from an Athy scrum saw Gorey charge forward and touch down for the games first score, an extra 2 points came from the boot of the Gorey scrum half. Athy gained a penalty on the half way line following a good defensive period, O’Toole stepped up again with a big boot down the line to give Athy a foothold in the Gorey half. Athy went with a quick lineout to Maloney at the front and a quick pop back to Hooker Stuart Holland who raced up the line. Good attacking play from Athy followed by an pin point accurate cross field kick (that even Andy Goode would have been happy with) from O’Toole to Darragh Conway on the wing saw Conway score to bring Athy back into the game. Mark Beever slotted the extra 2 to leave it 7-7 with 15 mins to the break. Athy gained further ground after the try, O’Toole tried his luck again with another cross-field kick however this time a knock on led to a Gorey scrum. A tackle off the ball from winger Tadhg Foley afforded Gorey the chance to make ground on the Athy men again. Gorey kicked to the corner and won their own line out. Athy stood off the line out expecting a penalty to be awarded to them however the penalty didn’t come and Gorey drove forward with the maul. Athy were reduced to 14 men for the remainder of the half after Holland saw yellow 5m out from the Athy line, Gorey opted for the scrum and took advantage of the extra man with huge pressure in the scrum and drove forward. The Gorey No.8 broke open from the back, a magnificent chop tackle by Maloney slowed him up but unfortunately it wasn’t enough to keep Gorey out with the 8’s momentum carrying him over the line for Goreys 2nd try with the conversion following. Athy fought hard for the remainder of the half but Gorey led at the break 14-7. Optimism amongst the Athy crowd was still high with 40 mins of rugby to play. 
Athy started the second half with the strong wind in their face but playing into the club house. On receiving the kick off  Gorey put a long ball into Athy, this set the precedents for the remainder of he game. A knock on from Foley on the wing gave Gorey a scrum on the Athy 22. Gorey again started the second half as they finished the first with huge pressure on the Athy scrum which gave their scrum half an opportunity to snipe down the blind side but was bundled into touch with a huge tackle. Athy decided to play the ball and attack from deep inside their own 22 with Foley making ground for Athy. Unfortunately Gorey gained another penalty and used the strong wind to pin the Athy men back deep into their own half. Sloppy play from Gorey led to Athy turning over the ball which saw a surging run from Aodhan King on the wing. Quick lineout ball from Athy saw them provide another good attack in the centre with resulted in a penalty for Athy. O’Toole was given the opportunity to unleash the big boot again and drove Athy forward well into the Gorey half. An excellent short line out by Athy saw them gain possession once again. Athy won another penalty which O’Toole kicked for touch once again. Gorey won the line out, moved the ball quickly to the far wing and launched yet another attack to bring them into the Athy half. Some quick rucking from Gorey secured the ball. A short pop pass to the outhalf coupled with open space saw the number 10 touch down under the posts, a poor conversion attempt went wide however. 19-7 to Gorey. After some great play from both sides Gorey were awarded a penalty midway through the half 40m out in front of the posts, they opted for the posts with a strong wind behind them. The scrum half didn’t miss this one, 22-7 to Gorey. The second half played out like a game of tennis with penalty after penalty being awarded, long kicks to touch and lineout ball being the main source of possession for either team. Gorey were eventually awarded a penalty 5m from the Athy line and they opted for the scrum. Massive pressure from the Gorey scrum saw Gorey roll over the Athy line for another try a great strike from the boot of the Gorey scrum half saw Gorey go 29-7 up with 10 minutes to go. At this stage Athy were playing for pride, which they did. Athy mounted pressure on Gorey with pick and drive ball which brought Athy forward into the Gorey half. Yet another yellow card for Athy in the dying minutes of the game saw Gorey close out strong with long ball deep into the Athy half. However sloppy play from Gorey and hard work from Athy saw the ball turned over for Athy. This gave the O’Toole brothers (David and Jason) the opportunity to link up in an unexpected play which saw Jason bring the ball forward for the Athy men. Athy secured the ruck and chipped forward with Beever chasing the ball but gave away a penalty for not allowing the Gorey player off the ground. An offside and a yellow card for Gorey in the dying seconds gave Athy the chance to launch one final attack. Athy went for the quick tap and go. An accidental offside from Athy ment that the game was over. The game finished 29-7 to the away team but the score line didn’t do justice to the effort and heart the Athy men played with. Best for Athy were Martin Maloney, Darren Byrne and Stuart Holland in the forwards, with David O’Toole, Vinny Murray and Tadhg Foley making the best of little opportunity for the back line.