Athy v Athyboy 02/11/2014

Written by Paul Aspil – 2nd November 2014


Athy 17 Athboy 20


Athy Cruelly Pipped at the final whistle



The battle for mid table lived up to its promise in Athboy, with both sides striving to keep in touch with the leaders, a very entertaining game ensued.

The game was tight for the first seventeen minutes with most of the play within the respective 10m lines.

However Athy ramped up the pressure gradually creeping into the Athboy 22 and this pressure was rewarded with a penalty to the visitors 20m out directly in front of the posts, which was scored by Jamie McStay.

From the restart the home team made their way towards the Athy 22 and a drop goal attempt from their No10 narrowly missed. Several other attempts were made during the game proving how dangerous the home out half would be.

And on 29 minutes it proved to be the case. Athy were awarded a scrum following a poor Athboy lineout throw.

The scrum was badly turned over and the home No.10 danced his way under the posts for the games first try which he also converted to leave the game at 7 – 3.

On 35 minutes Athy winger Davy Walsh made a scorching run along the left wing and a high tackle resulted in a yellow card for one of the Athboy props. Athy missed the penalty and the chance to reduce the deficit

Just before the break, Athy were rewarded for their growing dominance when Captain Stuart Holland intercepted a pass on the half way line and ran the distance to cross in the corner. With the conversion from Mark Beever the visitors ended the half with a three point margin 10-7.

5 minutes into the second half the lead swung back to the home team. A clearance from Athy went out on the full. From the lineout the ball was moved quickly from the right to the left flank and grounded in the corner.

With the extra three from the trusted boot of the out half they now lead by 4. Another penalty for the home team saw them stretch their lead to seven (17-10)

Athy, however, weren’t leaving without a fight and with the introduction of the Kings, Peter and Aodhan, they upped the tempo negating the influence of the Athboy 10 who was pulling all the strings for the hosts. On 61 minutes the ball made its way to winger Davy Walsh who scorched along the left wing just short of the line he managed to pop a pass to the supporting Alan Talbot to cross for a try which was converted by Beever to square the game at 17 – 17.

Athy went for the kill continuing to punch holes in the Athboy defence forcing the hosts to concede two kickable penalties. One narrow miss and one hit the upright. These misses would ultimately prove costly for Athy.

It looked all set for a deserved draw with the hosts conceding a penalty while on the on the Athy try line.

On the 80th minute Athy conceded a penalty for going in off the feet at a ruck just inside their half way line. Cruelly the Athboy knock on at the same ruck was missed by the referee.

The pristine boot of the host’s no. 10 sealed the victory with the last kick of the game.

A cruel twist to the end of an enjoyable game. Athy will have to be more clinical in converting chances going forward.

Related items